MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS, WY – Weather permitting, on Friday, April 15, 2022, some roads will open in Yellowstone National Park, and on Saturday visitors can access the park for free.
Beginning at 8 a.m. Friday, April 15, 2022, select roads [nps.gov] in Yellowstone National Park will open to the public for the season, weather permitting. On Saturday, April 16, entrance fees will be waived in celebration of National Park Week [nps.gov].
Roads open to the public on April 15
- West Entrance to Old Faithful
- Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful (via Norris)
- Norris to Canyon Village
- North Entrance to Mammoth Hot Springs to Northeast Entrance (open year-round)
Changes in 2022
- The road between Canyon Village and Tower-Roosevelt (Dunraven Pass) opens May 27 at noon.
- Fishing [nps.gov] and boating [nps.gov] seasons begin May 28 and will close Oct. 31.
- Three major road improvement projects [nps.gov] will occur this year. All three projects will cause major delays (Lewis River Bridge, Old Faithful to West Thumb and Yellowstone River Bridge) and two projects (Old Faithful to West Thumb and Lewis River Bridge) will have overnight closures. Visitors entering and exiting the park’s south entrance should allow for extra driving time. Drive slowly through road construction and be alert to workers, heavy equipment, wildlife and other hazards.
- Park roads will close for the winter season Nov.1 at 12:01 a.m.
- Services in the spring will be limited and visitors should come prepared. Visit Operating Hours & Seasons [nps.gov] for area-specific services.
- Weather conditions can change rapidly, especially in the spring. Many areas of the park are still experiencing winter conditions. Visitors should check the park’s current conditions [nps.gov] before they arrive.
- Find updated road status [nps.gov] on the park website and by calling (307) 344-2117. To receive Yellowstone road alerts on your mobile phone, text "82190" to 888-777 (an automatic text reply will confirm receipt and provide instructions).
- Reduce wait times at park entrances. Buy a pass online [nps.gov] ahead of time.