NewsLocal News


Yellowstone Co. residents advised to report flood damage before end of July

Posted at 3:50 PM, Jul 08, 2022
and last updated 2022-07-08 17:50:51-04

(City of Billings news release)

BILLINGS - After the Montana governor’s office announced on Thursday that June’s presidential major disaster declaration now includes Yellowstone County, residents are being advised to share property damages and losses as soon as possible.

“Contacting Montana DES and Red Cross are very important steps for anyone who wants or needs help,” explained KC Williams, disaster emergency services coordinator for Yellowstone County and the City of Billings.

A property damage form by Montana DES is still active online. Filling out the form is not an offer of financial aid but allows the agency to gauge the need for state assistance.

American Red Cross is offering financial assistance and is taking applications through Friday, July 29. The application process begins over the phone by calling 1-800-272-6668.

There is also help available for agricultural losses by contacting Kami Kraus with the USDA Farm Service Agency at (406) 351-8016.

Flood victims can also consult with various agencies by visiting the nearest Disaster Recovery Center, which is in Red Lodge at Roosevelt Junior High at 413 S. Oakes Ave.

Flood victims can discuss their needs and damages in person. Hours are from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week.

Williams advises anyone with flood damages or losses to reach out and seek assistance before the opportunity comes to an end.

Thursday’s addition of Yellowstone County to the presidential disaster declaration means the county is now eligible for aid through FEMA’s Public
Assistance Program.

The program provides supplemental federal grant assistance for debris removal, and the restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly owned facilities, like the City of Billings water plant.

The effort to get Yellowstone County approved for FEMA’s Individual Assistance is still underway. This would include assistance with money for temporary housing, basic home repairs, or other disaster needs.