NewsLocal News


Huntley fire destroys family home

Posted at 4:29 PM, Jul 23, 2020
and last updated 2020-07-23 19:49:44-04

A fire that forced a Huntley family from their home early Thursday morning spread with the help of strong winds, firefighters said later in the afternoon.

According to the Worden Fire Department, the fire spread from the porch to the attic of the home, causing the roof of the home to collapse.

No family members or pets were injured.

The fire started just before 4:30 a.m. on the porch of the family’s home.

After the home set fire, the neighbors called 911. The Worden Fire Department responded to the call and was assisted by the Shepard Fire Department, which sent a truck with five firefighters.

The family lost 90% of their belongings due to smoke, water and fire damage, according to Worden Fire Department.

According to Worden firefighters, they haven't made a final determination on what started the original porch fire. However, firefighters are reminding homeowners to avoid disposing of cigarette butts in potted plants. Potting soil is more flammable than dirt, especially when it has not been watered often, they said.