NewsLocal News

Actions

Fire closes restaurant in Billings

KTVQ-Default-Image-1280x720.png
Posted at 11:31 AM, Mar 01, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-01 15:01:27-05

A Billings restaurant is closed after a fire in the kitchen Sunday morning.

The fire started around 10:15 am at Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen on King Avenue East and Southgate Drive.

A fryer caught fire and flames flashed into the hood system, according to Billings Fire Department Battalion Chief Frank Regele.

Firefighters examined the roof and cleared the smoke with fans in the restaurant.

The employees evacuated the building before crews arrived.

According to the company's website, Popeye's hours on Sunday are from 10:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and it was not open at the time of the fire.

Regele said the business will need to have the hood serviced and inspected before it can reopen.

The fire marshal is investigating.