NewsLocal News

Actions

Billings weekend structure fire cause determined accidental

A failed appliance started the fire
Posted at 4:14 PM, Nov 18, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-18 20:42:50-05

BILLINGS — The cause of a warehouse fire that happened Sunday at 3004 First Ave. S. remains under investigation but appears to be accidental, according to a Monday release from the Billings Fire Department.

"The cause of the fire appears to be accidental due to the failure of an appliance. Additional investigation and testing of appliances is required to determine the exact cause," the release stated.

No one was in the structure at the time the fire started, Deputy Fire Marshal Jamie Fender told Q2 in a phone interview Monday.

The fire caused heavy damage in the warehouse, and smoke damage throughout the rest of the structure connected to the warehouse, the release stated.

An estimated $500,000 worth of property and contents were lost in the fire. Both the property and contents were insured.

RELATED: Structure damaged in Billings South Side fire Sunday