NewsCrime Watch

Actions

Questions linger after release of suspect in Superior assault case over National Anthem slight

Posted: 4:34 PM, Aug 07, 2019
Updated: 2019-08-07 19:45:47-04
Questions linger after release of suspect in Superior assault case
Questions linger after release of suspect in Superior assault case
Questions linger after release of suspect in Superior assault case

SUPERIOR —
The Montana man accused of assaulting a teenager for apparently not removing his hat during the National Anthem was released from jail Monday without posting bail, even though he has a criminal record and prosecutors requested a $100,000 bond.

Curt Brockway, 39, was released by Honorary Judge Dale Magone in Mineral County after making his first court appearance on charges of "causing bodily harm to a 13-year-old male.

MTN News went to Superior to ask Magone and Mineral County Attorney Ellen Donohue for more information, but we were told that they were too busy.

After calling, emailing and waiting outside the courthouse, an MTN News reporter was finally was able to talk to the judge, who he admitted to avoiding MTN News, adding that he wasn't able to comment on the case.

However, we were able to get some court documents that gives us more insight into Brockway’s past.

Brockway was released on his own recognizance on Monday, but is subject to a list of conditions, according to paperwork received at the Mineral County Courthouse.

A few of those restrictions include being required to affix a GPS to his body, having no contact with the victim and his family and witnesses. Brockway also can only leave his parent's home for work, doctor appointments and court appearances, according to court documents.

This most recent incident came just six months after Brockway was released from supervision from a 2010 case where he was found guilty of assault with a weapon.

According to a 2010 affidavit, Brockway randomly pulled a gun on a family of three. The victims told authorities that Brockway stated he was going to kill them. Brockway was persuaded by a friend to put down his gun and leave the scene.

He was sentenced to the Department of Corrections for a term of 10 years in that case, but his sentence was suspended by Missoula County District Court Judge John Larson. Brockway was given credit for 16 days served in custody. Brockway was then released and put on probation with a list of conditions.

Brockway petitioned the court in February of 2019 to be discharged from supervision from the 2010 assault with a weapon charge.

Court documents say Brockway has a traumatic brain injury but seems to manage rather well. According to paperwork, he completed neurological psychological therapy and was prescribed medication.

The Montana Department of Corrections Adult Probation and Parole determined Brockway to be “low risk and successfully served 9-months under supervision.”

After 900 hours of community service -- and serving seven years of probation -- Brockway was discharged from his supervision on Feb. 7.

Now, Brockway is back in court where he's facing charges for assaulting a minor. His arraignment has been set for 10 a.m Aug. 14.

The boy’s mother told MTN News earlier this week that the teen who was assaulted is still healing but is having trouble sleeping. She added that he's still pretty scared and was traumatized by the incident.

The teen was airlifted to a Spokane hospital for treatment of skull fractures following the weekend incident at the Mineral County Fairgrounds.