NewsCrime Watch


2 arrested after brief standoff in Billings mobile home park

Massive police presence spotted
standoff golden meadow 1.jpg
standoff golden meado 2.jpg
standoff golden meadow 3.jpg
Posted at 3:28 PM, Jan 18, 2023
and last updated 2023-01-19 10:30:09-05

Update 5:40 p.m.

The U.S. Marshals identified the two people arrested Wednesday afternoon following a brief standoff at a Billings West End mobile home park.

Lucas Hancock, 32 of Spokane, Washington, and Shyla Chapman, 25 of Idaho, were both arrested at the Golden Meadows Mobile Home Park.

Hancock had two warrants for flight to avoid prosecution from Washington state and one warrant for aggravated assault against a police officer from Idaho. Chapman was wanted in Idaho for harboring a fugitive.

The marshals service received a call Wednesday morning that the two were at a residence in the mobile home park on Southgrove Place.

Law enforcement first contacted the two around 1:30 p.m. when the standoff started. About 20 to 25 law enforcement were on scene, including Billings police SWAT, the Marshals service and the Yellowstone County Sheriff's Office Tactical Response Team.

The standoff lasted until about 3 p.m., when negotiators convinced Chapman to leave, then Hancock.

(first report) Two people were arrested after a brief standoff with a large number of law enforcement at a Billings West End mobile home park Wednesday afternoon, according to Billings police.

Police called the effort a "high-risk arrest" that involved multiple agencies at the Golden Meadows Mobile Home Park on the southwest corner of King Avenue West and South 24th Street.

Agencies responding included the U.S. Marshals, Billings police SWAT team and the Yellowstone County Sheriff's Office Tactical Response Team.

Neighbors surrounding the residence on Southgrove Drive at the southern edge of the park were briefly evacuated during standoff, according to police.

A neighbor told MTN News they heard a loud bang during the standoff, but it was unclear whether that was a gunshot, a flash grenade aimed at clearing the house or an unrelated noise.

The incident ended peacefully just before 3:10 p.m. after Billings police crisis negotiators talked the two suspects out of the residence. Both were wanted on out-of-state warrants.

No one was injured.