NewsMontana News

Actions

Choteau dad recovering from injuries after saving kids from burning house

Caine Gray of Choteau
Posted at 8:14 PM, Feb 02, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-02 22:14:11-05

CHOTEAU — Caine Gray of Choteau is recovering after rescuing his children from the family’s burning home on Saturday, Jan. 30. He talked with MTN News Tuesday about the harrowing experience.

"It was about two in the morning,” Gray recalled. "I don't know what made me wake up but I woke up and there was just flames and fire.”

From outside the home, the damage looks minor, but inside the damage is severe.

"The first thing I could think of was to try to get some water, so I grabbed a pail of water. Once I got up to the room, it was engulfed. It was too much, the pail of water wasn't going to work,” said Gray. "My kids were on the other side of the fire. It was one of those things. I ran and as soon as I could feel them, because it's dark, as soon as I grabbed them, felt them, I grabbed them and got out of there."



He continued, "I didn't even realize I was hurt until everybody was downstairs and all the animals were outside. Then, we just all cried and then I had to get to the hospital."

His hands and right foot are wrapped in bandages, protecting his severe second-degree burns, and he has to use a wheelchair for a while to get around.

His daughter sustained a minor burn, but his other two children and the rest of his family escaped unharmed.

Choteau dad recovering from injuries after saving kids from burning house

"I'm extremely grateful for the community here in Choteau. Mrs. Graham and Pastor Kim at the Trinity Lutheran Church and everybody who's donated and reached out,” said Gray. "People have said, 'Oh, you're a hero.' I'm not a hero. I'm just a dad doing what a dad would do."

The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.

A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family; click here if you would like to donate.