The U.S. Department of Agriculture has announced that many Farm Service Agency (FSA) offices will temporarily reopen for three days to perform certain limited services for farmers and ranchers during the government shutdown.
The USDA has recalled about 2,500 FSA employees to open offices Thursday and Friday in addition to next Tuesday during normal business hours.
In a Wednesday press release, the USDA stated FSA staff will be available to assist agricultural producers with existing farm loans and to ensure the agency provides 1099 tax documents to borrowers by the Internal Revenue Service’s deadline.
Staff members will be available at certain FSA offices to help producers with specific services such as processing payments made on or before Dec. 31, 2018, continuing expiring financing statements, and opening mail to identify priority items.
Additionally, as an intermittent incidental duty, staff may release proceeds from the sale of loan security by signing checks jointly payable to FSA that are brought to the county office by producers.
While staff are available in person during this three-day window, most available services can be handled over the phone. Producers can begin contacting staff on Jan. 17 here.
The Montana offices that will be open on Jan. 17, 18, and 22 include:
- Blaine County Service Center PO Box 307, 228 Ohio, Chinook, MT 59523, (406) 357-2320
- Carter County Service Center, PO Box 5, 308 S. Mormon Ave., Ekalaka, MT 59324, (406) 775-6355
- Cascade County Service Center, #12 Third St. NW, Suite 300, Great Falls, MT 59404, (406) 727-7580
- Custer County Service Center, 3120 Valley Drive, Miles City, MT 59301-5599, (406) 232-7905
- Dawson County Service Center, 102 Fir St., Glendive, MT 59330-3196, (406) 377-5566
- Fergus County Service Center, 211 McKinley St., Suite 2, Lewistown, MT 59457, (406) 538-3489
- Glacier County Service Center, 1 3rd St. NE, Cut Bank, MT 59427, (406) 873-5618
- Lake County Service Center, 64352 US Highway 93, Ronan, MT 59864-8738, (406) 676-2811
- Lewis & Clark Co. Service Center, 790 Colleen Street, Helena, MT 59601, (406) 449-5277
- Powell County Service Center, 1002 Hollenback Road, Suite B, Deer Lodge, MT 59722, (406) 846-2337
- Richland County Service Center, 2745 West Holly Street, Sidney, MT 59270, (406) 433-2103
- Roosevelt County Service Center, PO Box 519, 508 6th St. E., Culbertson, MT 59218-0519, (406) 787-6262
- Teton County Service Center, 1102 Main Ave. North, Suite 2, Choteau, MT 59422-0836, (406) 466-5351
- Valley County Service Center, 54059 US Hwy. 2, Suite 1, Glasgow, MT 59230-2846, (406) 228-4321
- Yellowstone Co. Service Center, 1629 Ave. D, Bldg. A, Suite 2, Billings, MT 59102-3042, (406) 657-6135