NewsMontana News


Court documents shed light on Friday double homicide in Missoula

Posted at 8:47 PM, Oct 22, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-22 23:19:11-04

MISSOULA – Two arrests have been made in connection with a double homicide that took place Friday morning  at the Mountain Valley Inn in Missoula.

Two men are facing homicide charges as police continue to investigate the incident.

According to court documents, three people were shot in room 228 of the Mountain Valley Inn early Friday morning.

Jason Flink, 23, and Megan McLaughlin, 31, died of gunshot wounds.

A third person, Kaleb Williams, survived the attack and was transported to the hospital with unknown injuries.

Upon reviewing surveillance footage, police discovered two men and one woman leaving the hotel in a pickup truck at 1:01 a.m. Friday.

The video showed both males carrying firearms. The female was running.

Missoula police arrested one of the male suspects, Preston Rossbach, later Friday morning. In his interview with police, Rossbach said Jonathan Whitworth, an unidentified female and himself had gone to the “plugs” motel to find drugs.

Whitworth was also identified in the video by multiple people interviewed by Missoula police.

According to court documents, investigators say the three entered the motel room with Whitworth asking if anyone had drugs. In court documents, someone stated they did not have drugs and the three people left.

Rossbach told police that the group then went back to their vehicle, but Whitworth began to make his way back to the hotel room. Rossbach says that Whitworth went on to shoot three people.

Rossbach claims to have not shot anyone and that he did not have a gun on him that morning, but Missoula police have determined from the surveillance footage that Rossbach did carry a weapon when leaving the hotel room and will now face homicide charges in Missoula District Court.

Rossbach is being held in the Missoula County Detention Center on $250,000 bond.

Whitworth was arrested Sunday near the Missoula International Airport. He is also facing homicide charges. 

Law enforcement apprehended Rossbach and questioned him late Friday morning, but said it took them more time and effort to locate Whitworth throughout the weekend after receiving multiple leads from the public.

The Missoula County Sheriff’s Office emphasized that they had unmarked vehicles in the Lolo area searching for Whitworth and conducting surveillance.

“It came in Saturday, or Sunday rather that we had a guy that looked like Jonathan Whitworth on a bike out by Missoula International Airport so deputies obviously were quick to respond out there,” Missoula County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Brenda Bassett said. “It just so happened that he was Jonathan Whitworth and we were able to take him in to custody without incident so we felt good about that. I think there was a lot of people in the Lolo communities especially that slept a lot better that night just knowing that he was in custody.”

The sheriff’s office said that the information they received from the public was significant was and were quick to thank all other law enforcement agencies in the arrest of Rossbach and Whitworth.

Story by Connor McCauley, MTN News

Related: “Person of interest” sought in Missoula double homicide

Related: Second suspect arrested in Missoula double murder

Related: Missoula double murder: One suspect jailed, another remains at large