BILLINGS — Billings firefighters quickly knocked down a fire that spread from a shed to a garage at 311 Third St. W. at 7:17 p.m. Monday, said Billings Fire Battalion Chief Darrek Mitchell.
All occupants got out of the home attached to the garage safely, Mitchell said.
The initial investigation found the fire started outside a shed near the backyard bordering the alley and spread to a shed before spreading to the nearby garage, Mitchell said.
When the crew with fire engine four first arrived on scene, firefighters encountered significant flames exiting the garage next to the alley, Mitchell said. An aggressive attack from the firefighters had the blaze knocked out within five minutes.
Around 8 p.m., firefighters were mopping up damaged materials from the garage such as insulation, an armchair and a cardboard box.
Mitchell said four fire engine crews, one truck company and one battalion chief were dispatched to the fire, but the first two engines that arrived were able to quickly contain the fire.
The fire damaged the interior of the home's garage and shed in the backyard but did not damage the interior of the home, Mitchell said.
Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Tatum was scheduled to arrive on scene to further pinpoint a cause of the fire, Mitchell said.