BILLINGS – After 35 years, Family Service, a local nonprofit charity that has been a staple in Billings for more than 112 years, will be opening its doors on June 10 in its new facility located at 3927-3931 1st Avenue South.
They will be hosting a Grand Opening celebration, including a ribbon-cutting ceremony, on Friday, June 14th from 11 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. at the new location. A barbeque will follow, sponsored by Meadow Gold, Pepsi and Food Services of America.
The new facility includes two buildings and supports new or improved services for area residents. These include:
- Expanded food box capability that will allow people to select their own food boxes which will reduce food waste.
- On-site processing of the Supplemental Commodity Food Program for Seniors in need. This is a monthly food distribution designed to assist seniors over 60 who are living on less than $1,300 a month.
- An enhanced donation drop-off for donors to bring gently used, clean items. Donors can now drive through the front building and deliver items out of the elements.
- Anyone and everyone is welcome to shop in the new, larger thrift shop and 50 cent Clothing Quarter.
- Distribution of food to pantries across Eastern Montana. This is a new program that kicks off this summer and is in collaboration with Montana Food Bank Network.
Last year, over 15,000 households and seniors in need were assisted.
Volunteers for every program are needed. If interested, please contact Family Service at 259-2269.