UPDATE 2:06 p.m. – Adam Wolf, the Northern Cheyenne Fire Management Officer, told Q2 the home where the fire originated belongs to Kennith Bird Chief.
Wolf says the fire was started by a wood stove inside the home and Bird Chief had only moments to escape through a window but did make it out safely.
LAME DEER – The fire in Lame Deer that burned 1,766 acres was started by a house fire, officials said Monday.
Rosebud County Sheriff Allen Fulton said a house fire was the original cause of the wildland fire that threatened structures in Lame Deer.
According to a press release from the BIA, the fire started Sunday afternoon, forcing road closures and threatening structures and homes in town.
“We almost had it, then the wind picked it up and just pushed,” said BIA Fire Management Officer Adam Wolf.
Thirty mph winds pushed the fire north into the town of Lame Deer.
Highway 212 and Montana Highway 39 were closed while firefighters were trying to contain the fire.
The roads reopened around 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
Rosebud, Ashland, and Forsyth County firefighters and other firefighters from across the region helped combat the blaze.
Homes along Highway 39 were preparing to evacuate but the fire was contained before it became a threat to those homes.
According to the press release, a briefing between the Northern Cheyenne Tribe, Department of Emergency Services, the BIA superintendent, the Rosebud County Commission and the sheriff was held at 6 p.m.
BIA Assistant Fire Management Officer Bobby Cooper is leading the “Type 3” team managing the fire.
Three dozers and a road grader built lines encircling the burn overnight and into Monday morning.