NewsLocal News


What kind of insurance do you need for a house below Billings’ unstable Rimrocks?

Posted at 6:36 PM, Aug 16, 2018
and last updated 2019-07-17 14:51:54-04

BILLINGS- Insurance companies will cover homes located under the Rims in Billings, but for one company, a special policy needs to be added to a normal homeowner’s policy.

Troy Stowe, a PayneWest Insurance sales executive, said Thursday an endorsement with coverage from another company can be added to cover possible land movement, similar to what would be used with flood and earthquake insurance.

The special policy covers land movement, earth movement and landslides.

“It’s just a natural peril,” Stowe said. “Earth movement, it can happen. So you just have to make sure you have coverage for it. Typically, under most homeowner’s policies, no coverage for this type of coverage. It’s land movement, earth movement. It’s called land slide, kind of the typical words for it. But they want to make sure that form is covered, that it’s covered under the homeowner’s policy.”

Stowe suggests having an agent go over specifics of your homeowner’s policy to ensure there is coverage, if necessary, for land movement