BILLINGS — The Billings Police Department released a series of social distancing measures Monday in an effort to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, according to a release from Billings Police Lt. Brandon Wooley.
"As the City of Billings responds to confirmed cases of Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19), the men and women of the BPD remain steadfast in our commitment to maintain public safety, uphold the law and safeguard the well-being of our city," Wooley wrote.
Below are the list of measures Wooley included in the release:
- Implemented internal social distancing practices and have postponed all non-essential travel and training.
• Officers will attempt to avoid all non-essential close contact (within 6 feet) when interacting with others.
• Sick employees are instructed to notify their supervisors, stay home, do not come to work, and seek medical care early.
• Members are instructed to wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and/or utilize an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with greater than 60% alcohol content.
• Officers are being issued Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
• In instances when there is close contact with an individual suspected of having COVID-19, officers are to utilize issued PPE.
• Commanding officers are to be proactive in ensuring routine cleaning and disinfecting of all PD facilities and equipment. In the event of a confirmed COVID-19 case at a police facility, the commander shall initiate an infectious disease cleaning protocol.
• Officers will be issuing Notice to Appears (NTA’s) and only arresting offenders as required by law or if they present a danger to the community.
• After today the Crime Prevention Center (CPC), which is primarily staffed by volunteers, will be closed to the public. We encourage anyone needing to make a police report that normally would be handled by the CPC to make the report using the BPD’s online reporting system here.
• BPD Evidence facility will be altering hours to minimize contacts. The facility will only allow visitors by appointment only on Tuesdays from 7AM to Noon and Thursdays Noon to 4 PM. Call 237-6192 to schedule an appointment.