A Waiting Child: Richard and Stansel

Posted at 11:09 AM, Feb 19, 2018
and last updated 2018-08-15 11:19:00-04

BILLINGS – Brothers Richard and Stansel have lived in foster care for years.

At first, the brothers were living in the same home, but this past year the family decided they could no longer take care of both boys. 

Stansel was moved to a different home, and they have been split up ever since.

Richard, 11, has a high functioning form of autism. He spends his time playing games and sports, and has participated in the Special Olympics, both in the running and bowling events.

Stansel, 9, loves to play basketball and spends a lot of time working on his game. He also loves soccer and football.

This year, Stansel was diagnosed with diabetes. Despite his young age, he has taken on a lot of the responsibility of managing his diabetes.

The moving around has taken its toll on both of the boys, and the hope is that they will be able to find a family and be together again for good.


Children who are available for adoption through the Child & Family Services Division of the Montana Department of Public Health & Human Services have been removed from their own families because of abuse, neglect, or other family problems that make it unsafe for them to remain at home. 

The rights of their parents have been terminated making the children available for adoption.

Who May Adopt?

Either married couples or single adults who have an approved pre-placement evaluation or adoptive home study may adopt in the State of Montana.

How do I get a home study?

If you live in Montana, you may begin the process by contacting your county office of Child and Family Services. If you live outside of Montana, contact your state or local office that provides these services.

What about training?

Montana Child and Family Services requires and provides special training to all of our foster and adoptive parents.  The training is offered at various times and places around the State of Montana.  If you live in Montana, information is available from your county CFS office.  If you live outside of Montana, contact your state or local office that provides these services.

Click here to learn more about child adoption in Montana.