NewsMontana News

Actions

Montanan diagnosed with coronavirus in Maryland did not have disease in Montana

Posted: 12:16 PM, Mar 11, 2020
Updated: 2020-03-12 06:21:32-04
Maryland Governor's Office:  Montana woman diagnosed with COVID-19

Update 4:50 p.m. Gov. Steve Bullock said in a news release that the Montana woman who tested positive for COVID-19 in Maryland was last in Montana in November 2019 and was not in the state during the 14-day incubation period.

“Since the case was announced earlier today, public health officials have been working nonstop to learn more about this case and can now confirm the patient did not have coronavirus while she was in Montana,” Bullock said. “We will continue to monitor the patient in Maryland and remain committed to preparing for coronavirus to reach Montana.”

The patient is a woman in her 70s from Lake County in western Montana. She is currently in a hospital in Anne Arundel County in Maryland.

Because she is a Montana resident, the Centers for Disease Control classifies the patient as a Montana case. No confirmed COVID-19 case has been reported in Montana.



Maryland's Governor's Office says a Montana resident visiting that state has tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

According to a news release from the Office of Governor Larry Hogan, the Maryland Deptartment of Health has notified the Montana health office and Hogan has contacted Gov. Steve Bullock.

Officials say the woman is in her 70's and was visiting Maryland's Anne Arundel County. She had previously been in close contact with a confirmed case.

She was tested at an Anne Aruendel County hospital.

The release also notes that while this case was diagnosed in Maryland, it will be classified as a Montana case and that this particular case will be investigated by the Maryland and Anne Arundel County health departments.

The woman has not been identified and it is unclear where in Montana she is from.

Congressman Greg Gianforte issued a statement shortly after the news broke:

“As the governor of Maryland confirms Montana’s first case of coronavirus, protecting the health and safety of Montanans is my top priority. Our country is one of the best prepared in the world to keep Montanans safe from the virus. The Trump administration is using the tools Congress has provided to respond to this public health crisis. I will continue to work with federal, state, and local officials on our efforts to respond and protect our communities. I pray for those impacted by the virus, and remain grateful to our first responders and health care workers who are on the front lines,” Gianforte said.

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock issued this statement:

“Public health officials are working closely with Maryland to confirm case details on when this individual was last in Montana. We are committed to providing Montanans with accurate and transparent information and will be working around the clock to ensure that those details will be provided as soon as possible. Lisa and I are sending all our good thoughts and love to the patient.”

The press release from the governor continued:

In the time the Maryland health officials contacted the Montana Department of Public Health communicable disease staff, we immediately began to confirm information and work to acquire the patient’s travel history. DPHHS is working with Maryland health officials. We will continue to update Montanans with additional details as we learn more.

The patient is a woman in her 70s and is at an Anne Arundel County hospital in Maryland. Because the patient is a resident of Montana, the CDC classifies the patient as a Montana case. This is a common practice for national surveillance.

Montana still does not have a confirmed case in the state at this time.

This is a developing story. Check back for update.

Read a press release from the county health department in Maryland below:

Annapolis, Md. (March 11, 2020) The Maryland Department of Health has confirmed Anne Arundel County’s first positive COVID-19 case. The individual is in their 70s and is currently hospitalized. This case is related to domestic travel. The individual had limited contacts, and they have been identified and notified.

Health Officer Dr. Kalyanaraman informed County Executive Pittman of the positive case earlier today and has been in close communication with Maryland Department of Health officials. County Executive Steuart Pittman, County Health Officer Dr. Nilesh Kalyanaraman, and Acting Director of the Office of Emergency Management Tim Mikules have scheduled a press conference to share more information and answer questions. The press conference will be live-streamed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFH1E79A5NI&feature=youtu.be

“The health of county residents, visitors, and county employees is our top priority,” said County Executive Pittman. “We want to keep our residents well-informed and prepared. The County and the City of Annapolis have been preparing for this possibility since January. At this time, there is no reason to panic, but we do want to reinforce preventive measures we can all take against COVID-19.”