Quantcast

Miles City man hospitalized with hand injury after house fire - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT

Miles City man hospitalized with hand injury after house fire

Posted: Updated:
The fire burned for several hours (Custer Co. Fire) The fire burned for several hours (Custer Co. Fire)
(Custer Co. Fire) (Custer Co. Fire)

MILES CITY -- A Miles City man’s house burned to the ground after a can of spray paint he was using was ignited by a space heater, according to the Custer County Fire Warden on Thursday.

The fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the home on Highway 59 North in Miles City.

According to Warden Bud Peterson, a man in his 40s was spray-painting in his home near a space heater.

The combustible spray can blew up in the man’s hand and started a small fire, according to Peterson.

The man was able to put out the fire before he left to go to the hospital.

The fire reignited while the man was on his way to the hospital and his sister, who lives in a nearby trailer, reported the blaze to authorities.

Fire crews from the Custer County Fire Department and the Miles City Fire Department arrived on scene to find the home fully engulfed in flames.

The flames spread to the garage, which burned down along with the home.

Crews fought the fire for more than three hours.

Peterson said a nearby shed and the trailer home were saved.

The man in the home remains hospitalized, where he is expected to undergo surgery on his hand.

No firefighters were injured.

The home is a total loss, according to Peterson, but a dollar estimate for the damage has yet to be determined.

WEATHER
Powered by Frankly

© KTVQ.com 2017, KTVQ.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?