Prosecutors: Suspects in murder of Montana Deputy baited officer - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT

Prosecutors: Suspects in murder of Montana Deputy baited officer as part of "suicide mission"

Posted: Updated:
Lloyd Montier Barrus (MCSO) Lloyd Montier Barrus (MCSO)
38 year old Marshall Barrus of Gallatin County 38 year old Marshall Barrus of Gallatin County

The pair of men accused in the murder of a Broadwater County Deputy on Tuesday were carrying out a suicide mission, according to court documents filed Friday.

Lloyd Barrus, 61, is charged in Broadwater County District Court with accountability to deliberate homicide for the murder of Deputy Mason Moore, who was killed near Three Forks.

Prosecutors allege that Barrus and his 38-year-old son Marshall baited the deputy into chasing them when they sped past the patrol car on Highway 287.

A review of the deputy's dashcam video showed the suspects' Chevy Suburban speed past the patrol car around 2:30 a.m..

Deputy Moore then activated his top lights and siren and pursued the vehicle.

The deputy alerted dispatch that he was engaged in a chase and that speeds were topping 100 miles per hour.

Six minutes into the pursuit, shots were fired from the Suburban and Moore was wounded.

His patrol vehicle then stopped on the side of the road.

Investigators believe Deputy Moore was still alive at that point because the dashcam audio captured his breathing sounds.

Dashcam video showed the suspect vehicle make a U-turn and approach the passenger side of the patrol vehicle, where over a dozen more shots were fired into the deputy's car.

More than two dozen rounds total were fired at Deputy Moore’s patrol vehicle, according to court documents.

A Gallatin County officer responded to find Moore dead, with multiple gunshot wounds to the head and torso.

The suspect vehicle was spotted in Anaconda, leading to a pursuit on Interstate 90.

The suspects engaged authorities in a shootout just outside of Missoula in Rock Creek, according to court documents.

Marshall Barrus was shot in the head by law enforcement and died at the hospital the next day.

Lloyd Barrus was apprehended and taken to jail.

The family of Marshall Barrus told authorities they had gone on a family camping trip to Canyon Ferris Lake.

Marshall Barrus openly spoke with the family about carrying out a suicide mission with authorities.

According to court documents, at the campground, on the night of May 15, 2017, Marshall Lloyd tried to get his children to join him.

When the wife and children refused, Marshall allegedly attacked them, and then he and his father left the campground with a semi-automatic rifle, a 9mm pistol, a shotgun and a backpack full of ammunition and magazines.

Lloyd Barrus is scheduled for an arraignment next Friday in Broadwater County District Court.

Broadwater County Attorney Cory Swanson said he has yet to decide whether to seek the death penalty in this case.

Powered by Frankly

© KTVQ.com 2018, KTVQ.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?