Highway chase, shootout followed death of Montana deputy - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT


Highway chase, shootout followed death of Montana deputy

Posted: Updated:
Lloyd Montier Barrus, 61, is being held on a felony deliberate homicide charge. (MCSO photo) Lloyd Montier Barrus, 61, is being held on a felony deliberate homicide charge. (MCSO photo)

One of the suspects in the shooting death of a sheriff's deputy near Three Forks was shot in the head during a shootout near Rock Creek.

According to Butte-Silver Bow Sheriff Ed Lester, the suspect suffered a gunshot wound to the head and the second man was shot in the hand after the suspects began firing at pursuing officers who returned fire.

At approximately 3:27 a.m. officers from Butte-Silver Bow law enforcement located the suspect’s 1998 white Chevrolet Suburban with California license plates.

Three units from Butte-Silver Bow began pursuing the vehicle as it was westbound on Interstate 90 at the Continental Drive interchange.

The pursuit reached speeds of over 100 mph.  

Butte-Silver Bow officers continued to pursue the vehicle westbound on I-90 through Deer Lodge County and Powell County and into Granite County.

At mile marker 126 on I-90 in Granite County a tire of the fleeing Suburban was deflated by a spike strip deployed by the Montana Highway Patrol.  The suspects in the Suburban then began firing at the pursuing officers with at least one semi-automatic rifle.  

Two Butte-Silver Bow patrol cars sustained damage from gunfire and were rendered inoperable.

The third Butte-Silver Bow unit along with a Montana Highway Patrol unit, a Powell County unit, an Anaconda-Deer Lodge unit, and a Granite County Unit continued the pursuit into Missoula County until the suspect vehicle became inoperable.  

The Suburban came to a stop at mile marker 129 on I-90 and gunfire was exchanged between the suspects and officers. Both suspects were hit by gunfire. 

One suspect is in custody the second is receiving medical treatment in Missoula.

In all, three Butte-Silver Bow patrol vehicles were struck by gunfire. Other units from other law enforcement agencies were also struck by gunfire.

“I can confirm that two Butte-Silver Bow police officers fired their weapons during this incident," said Lester. "I will let the other involved agencies provide additional details. The investigation into the entire incident is being conducted by the Montana Division of Criminal Investigation and the Missoula County Sheriff’s Office.”

“The men and women of the Butte-Silver Bow Law Enforcement Department extend our sincerest condolences to Sheriff Meehan, the Broadwater County Sheriff’s Department, and the family of the fallen deputy,” Lester said.


A Broadwater County Sheriff’s Office deputy was shot and killed during a traffic stop early Tuesday morning near Three Forks and two suspects  were later arrested after one of them shot at officers.

Authorities said the two men, identified as a father and son, were arrested by the Butte-Silver Bow Sheriff’s Office near Rock Creek at 4:35 a.m. and are in custody in Missoula County.

Lloyd Montier Barrus, 61, is being held on a felony deliberate homicide charge in the Missoula County jail. The second man, who has not been identified, is being treated at a hospital. 

According to law enforcement, the Broadwater County deputy had pulled a vehicle over on Montana Highway 287 near I-90 in what’s described as a “routine stop”  at approximately 3:30 a.m.

He had called the incident into dispatchers, but then never called back. A Gallatin County Sheriff deputy then responded and found the deputy dead.

The Missoula County Sheriff's Office reports a statewide alert was issued for the suspect vehicle and it was spotted near Anaconda by the Montana Highway Patrol where a pursuit began.

Authorities said the vehicle headed westbound on interstate 90 where it struck spike strips in Powell County but was able to continue.

The suspects began firing at law enforcement before the vehicle came to rest just east of Rock Creek.

Missoula County authorities report the passenger exited the vehicle and began shooting at multiple officers. He was shot and transported to a Missoula hospital, while the driver was taken into custody without incident.

Five law enforcement vehicles were damaged in the shootout by Rock Creek. They have been impounded as evidence. 


Montana deputy killed, 2 suspects arrested

Powered by Frankly

© KTVQ.com 2018, KTVQ.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?