Apr 15, 2014 4:42 AM by Q2 News
BILLINGS - A suspect failing to obey the orders of a Billings police officer and making a "threatening movement" was shot and killed after a traffic stop in an alley shortly after 11 p.m. on Monday.
The series of events resulted in the officer drawing his weapon and firing multiple rounds, according to Billings police.
Before midnight on Monday evening, a Billings police officer was in the area of 5th Ave and South 33rd searching for a suspect alleged to be involved in an armed robbery on Sunday.
During that robbery, the victim was shot in the arm, according to Police Chief Rich St. John.
The traffic stop involved a red passenger car leaving the area with four occupants. The officer approached the vehicle from the right side to speak with the suspect who was seated in the right rear of the vehicle.
It is not yet clear how the events unfolded between the officer approaching the vehicle and the initial shots fired. In a press release early Tuesday, St. John noted the "threatening movement" of the suspect caused the officer to draw his weapon.
The suspect involved in the shooting late Monday night was pronounced dead at the hospital. He was treated at the scene and taken to Billings Clinic, where he was pronounced dead.
The investigation is ongoing. The name of the victim, as well as the officer, were not immediately released.
St. John issued this press release:
* On April 14 at approximately 1100 PM, one of our officers was in the area of 5th and S. 33rd looking for a suspect in an armed robbery that took place the day before. In that robbery, the victim was shot in the arm.
* The officer saw a red passenger car leaving the area with four occupants. Further, the officer saw that the robbery suspect was sitting in the right rear.
* The officer followed the vehicle to the area of 5th South and State where he initiated a traffic stop in an alley.
* The officer approached the vehicle from the right side and opened the door to talk with the suspect.
* Preliminary information investigation suggests that suspect failed to obey the orders of the officer and made a threatening movement which resulted in the officer drawing his weapon and firing multiple rounds.
* The suspect was treated at the scene and subsequently taken to Billings Clinic where he died of his wounds.
* The investigation is ongoing and the names of the deceased and officer are being withheld pending notifications.
* There will be a press conference at 1000 tomorrow morning at city hall to provide further details.
1 hour ago