Montana

Aug 17, 2012 9:12 PM by Irina Cates - MTN News

Missoula girl recovering after suffering burns in house fire

MISSOULA - A 10-year-old Missoula girl is recovering after getting burned in a house fire on Edward Avenue Thursday night.

Missoula Rural Fire officials said the girl was spraying her shoes with a can of water-repelling sealant when the spray hit a pilot light burning in a water heater, ignited and and caught the basement room on fire.

The Missoula County Sheriff's Office arrived first on the scene. The girl was taken to Community Medical Center with burns to her head, arms and legs.

Sergeant Bill Burt helped the mother and the two children who were standing outside, while Detective John Lamb and Deputy Jared Cochran went inside to put out the fire.

Missoula Rural Fire Department officials say something like this could happen to anyone.

"It's as simple as hair spray being used in a bathroom with the candles going. Truly if that hair spray, aerosolized hairspray, reaches a candle it has the same potential," says Paul Finlay, a battalion chief at the Missoula Rural Fire Department.

The girl's condition is unknown. We stopped by the house where the fire happened to see how the girl was doing, but no one came to the door.

»Comments

More News

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular