Sports News

Nov 3, 2012 10:58 PM by Scott Breen - Q2 Sports

Huntley football player recounts amputation

BILLINGS - Wednesday night we told you about Koni Dole, a Huntley Project football player who suffered a broken leg two weeks ago in his season finale.

At first glance, this one doesn't finish with a storybook ending. For those who look a little closer, maybe it does.

Dole's hospital room is painted with an outpouring of support. Balloons, flowers, cards and candy. He's been there for two weeks, but had no idea it would turn into an extended stay at the moment of impact.

In the last quarter of his last game this season, Dole suffered a double-break in his lower right leg while making a tackle. The injury was so gruesom it turned into what's known as clostridium difficile, or a bacterial infection.

Stuck in a hospital room the 16-year-old faced a decision of whether or not to amputate his lower leg. After being told by doctors it would enhance his chances of returning to sports, he decided to amputate. Ultimately, Dole has endured six surgeries since a week ago Saturday. His amputation took place Tuesday.

Dole is accutely aware of the down moments he's sure to face as time wears. But right now he's the center of a lot of attention, and not just nearby. Other Montana high schools have called to see how they can help.

Coaches testify that Dole is a one-in-a-million student-athlete. His goal is to be back on the field with teammates for next year's season opener.

After high school, Dole still counts on chasing his life-long dream of playing football for the Bobcats.

Friends will soon start selling wristbands with a quote Koni authored on his Facebook page as part of a fund-raising effort. Those wishing to help can call Huntley Project High School.

Editor's note: At the onset of this story, it was reported to Q2 that Dole's injury was so gruesom it turned into what's known as clostridium difficile, or a bacterial infection, which was the cause of amputation. Doctors have since clarified that compartment syndrome, not infection, caused the amputation.

Related Stories


Top Videos

1 2 3 4