Montana

Jan 24, 2013 9:20 AM by Evan Weborg - MTN News

Carbon monoxide blamed for East Helena man's death

EAST HELENA - Carbon monoxide is to blame for the death of an East Helena man.

Lewis and Clark County Coroner Mickey Nelson said 87-year-old William Thaanum was found dead at his home Sunday morning from asphyxiation.

His wife Marjorie, who was laying next to him in bed, was taken to the hospital.

Their cat also showed signs of monoxide poisoning.

Nelson believes the vehicle parked in the garage was left accidentally left running for several hours, allowing carbon monoxide to slowly seep into the home.

Nelson said, "In fact, maybe there was even sickness prior to the actual event, maybe (they were) thinking, 'We just have the flu,' something of this nature, and having no idea this silent killer was lurking in their home."

Nelson said that this sad event serves as a good reminder to make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are working properly, and to never run a car in a closed garage.

»Comments

More News

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular