Posted: Aug 9, 2012 2:38 PM by Angela Douglas - Q2 News
Updated: Aug 9, 2012 2:40 PM
BILLINGS - A Billings toddler who suffered severe burns in an apartment fire Wednesday morning is in critical condition at the Salt Lake City Burn Unit.
The 18-month-old girl was flown to Salt Lake City Wednesday morning, following the apartment fire at 1381 Easy Street in the Billings Heights.
According to Billings Fire Marshal Mike Spini, the toddler sustained severe burns over a large portion of her body.
Three other boys, between the ages of two and nine, were also transported to St. Vincent Healthcare with minor burns. According to Billings Police Lieutenant R.D Harper, all three have been released from the hospital.
Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Tatum said contents inside the closet caught fire, melted and fell on the children.
Fire Marshal Spini said a total of five children, four boys and one girl, were playing with a lighter in a bedroom closet when the fire broke out at about 8:40 a.m. Their mother was in another room at the time of the incident.
The fire was contained to the bedroom closet, with minimal damage caused.
The fire remains under investigation by both the Billings Fire Department and Billings Police Department.